In my first post I talked about me and my background and disabilities. Now I begin the long process of applying for disability. I stopped working about 5 months ago. March 3, 2009 was my last day at work. I was a school bus driver and drove a minibus for a good company. My run was for a special needs school and I enjoyed seeing the kids everyday. They were a joy and a light in each day. As time went on it became apparent that my disabilities were getting worse and it was no longer physically possible to continue doing what I usually did within he course of each day. So due to this and not wanting to jeopardize the safety of all involved I resigned as a driver and haven't worked since.
I waited for a while before starting this process because I had hoped to get more medical attention which might allow me to return to work but those thoughts were more based in denial then reality. I also contacted a disability lawyer who was slow in returning my calls and never sent me the information via mail like they said they were going to. I waited and hoped the would get it together because they were suppose to be one of the best in New Jersey but realized that being one the best made them to busy to really focus on me so I began search for a different lawyer. I made a list and looked at several websites of different lawyers in my area. After reviewing them I chose one with alot of good experience in SSD and the website was very professional and informative. I had been told it was best to seek a lawyers advice and counsel before beginning the SSD process. The SSD process is very complicated and can be hard to navigate and unfortunately if you don't do things correctly you can be denied for that reason alone.
My advice to anyone who is disabled and ready to apply for SSD is to do some research on SSD lawyers in your area. This can easily be done online. In my opinion the website should be professional in appearance and should provide you with information on each of their lawyers. It should include a short biography and state what their experience is with representing people with their SSD claim. It is best to choose one that is within a comfortable distance from you or has a office in your area because you will need to go meet with them at some time during this process. Its is also customary that most SSD lawyers do not charge you any upfront fees to take your case. Most will listen to what you have to say and ask you some questions and then take your case if they believe they can help you to successfully obtain SSD bebefits. When you do win your claim social security pays them 25% of all retroactive benefits due to you or $6,000, which ever is higher. (This amount may change in the future as per the SSA but its correct as of today 8/8/09)
I called the lawyer that I chose and the secretary did what she called an "intake." She asked me several questions including personal information such as name, marital status, address, phone, birth date and questions about my disabilities. Once this was finished she said one of the lawyers would review it and call me back. A couple days later the lawyer called me. He asked more questions and information and said that he believed that my disabilities definitely were preventing me from being able to work and that he could help me with my disability claim. He said that I would receive a packet of information in several days, which I did.
The packet I got from my lawyer included alot of information to read through on SSD. It also included:
*Client Questionnaires
*Appointment of Representative (this is your acknowledgement and agreement to have the lawyer represent you and deal with SSA on your behalf)
*Medical Authorizations
*SSA Authorizations
*DDA Authorizations
*Directions on how to apply for SSD
*Directions on how to apply for SSI
Going through the packet was a little overwhelming at first but I took each item one at a time and read them and filled out forms and signed where necessary. I am still working on the client questionnaires as of today 8/8/09 but have returned all the other forms to the lawyers office.
Besides still working on the client questionnaires for my lawyers I also have began the process of applying for SSD and SSI which I will discuss in the next post.
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment